I spent almost the whole of today on the phone with a very experienced CWS member, trying to decide on the best course of action to ensure Gucci's safety.
We considered many different ways we could approach this matter... we looked at every possibe resulting scenerio from different angles and weighed the pros and cons of each very carefully.
This is the gist of what we have decided to do...
We will give the family a little time to calm down. They are so emotionally charged right now that almost anything we do will surely be met with resistance. When the family is calmer and more receptive, we will try and work out an arrangement for Gucci. In the mean time, we will be keeping a close watch on things.
I'm sorry I can't reveal more right now. Please trust that we are doing the best we can in such a sticky situation. I wish it were as simple as just going in and taking Gucci back with me... but it isn't. There are so many things to consider, each one delicate with its own set of risks.
For now, I will share with you that both Melissa's parents have expressed that they do not want to give Gucci up, not even to be fostered out for a short period while they sort themselves out. Both maintain that Gucci is a well-behaved and well-trained cat and so he is not causing any trouble to them.
Melissa herself, however, has asked to be given some time to think things through so that she can decide if Gucci will be fostered out to me.