Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Would you take a one-eyed kitty over a gorgeous cutie?

Adoption drives are always fun and interesting. And Sunday's was no different.

The new poster stand, sturdy and impressive-looking, unlike the old one that was just a styrofoam board held up by strings

The Flyer and I enjoy meeting and talking with the people. We feel that it is important to educate them on the proper caring of cats and to help clear up any misconceptions they may have about our feline friends.

Potential adopters taking in all the info on the different cats

Two of the questions that I am asked most often are:
  • Why does my cat pee and poo outside the litterbox? How can I get it to break that habit?
  • want to adopt another cat. But I am afraid my unfriendly cat will fight with the new one. What can I do?
The answers are simple ones. And by the time I am done explaining them, the people are often surprised at how simple the methods are. It pleases me immensely to be able to offer solutions to these families to help them live more happily with their cats.

The CWS merchandise booth did very well that day

The questions that despair me are:
  • I picked up a stray kitten at my void deck. Now I want to adopt that long-haired Birman cat. When my kitten gets older, can I leave it at the void deck?
  • I want to start travelling more. But that means my cats will be alone at home for many days. What can you do to help me?
Guess who I saw huddled into a furry bundle inside one of the cages… CatDonna's Hazel! The poor thing was one tensed up ball of fur. I petted him on his nose and was greeted with a soundless hiss

I would always have to stop my face from contorting into a look of utter shock and horror... then take a deep breath to calm myself down... and finally launch into the necessary lecture without sounding like a total nag.
It is these people that exhaust me completely. So I am always very glad to meet the sweet folks whom the angels have sent down to love and protect the cats.

The new reference flip book for kittens and special-needs cats

There was this family at the adoption drive. They were looking to adopt a cat for a family pet. As they studied all the posters and flipped through the boards, the kids were drawn to a very cute white kitten. "This one! This one!" they cried out excitedly to their parents.

The father took one look at the sweet-looking kitten, he shook his head and said, "No, this one is very cute. Many people will want it. It will have no problem finding a home. We should take one that nobody will want."

"Huh?!" gasped the children in disappointment. "So we have to take an ugly cat?"

"Yes, an ugly cat," the father said.

"But this one is SO cute!" the kids cried out, pointing furiously at the white kitten.

"Er... yes," the mother said quietly, looking pleadingly at her husband. "That one really is quite cute."

"No," the father said firmly. "Only an ugly cat," and he made them look through the posters of the special-needs cats... the ones with only three legs or some kind of deformity.

Who will the family take? Cute little Jellybean (left) or one-eyed Jack (right)?

The father took an instant liking to Jack, a dear little kitten who had to have one eye removed. The kids didn't seem so enthusiastic, but they followed their father's lead.

Jack won over the hearts of a good man and his family

As the father filled out the adoption application form, the eldest daughter kept returning to stare at Jack's picture. She would study his photo carefully as though memorising his face. Then she would go away, only to return to stare at his poster again and nodding her head ever so slightly. It was as though she was firmly deciding that he was now the cat she would love always.

It was all so sweet.

~5-Cat Style

Other blog entries on the Cat Show:

30 comments:

Victor Tabbycat said...

Good fur Jack! CatDonna was furry worried bout him. An she said Hazel was dopted, but that's a horror story. Don't know why.

I only wented to one doption fair an found my Mom quickly. She wasn't really lookin fur another kitty, but I was lookin fur her. Poor Hazel looks furious. I was calm; I can take anyfing.

The displays are furry nice an attractive. I'm sure they helped. Yur such good people to do so much fur the kitties! Lots of purrs!

C. said...

I'm utterly touched by the father's gesture. The man is a good father - I hope the children understand their dad's good intention. It is such a valuable lesson on true love and acceptance.

Zeus said...

I just love your thoughts concerning the cat show. I feel like I was really there! The story of the father and the "ugly cat" was also very touching. I think he taught his children more than just the value of animals with his stance concerning Jack.

Now if only they would blog about Jack so we can see what happens next!

kuro.shiro.neko said...

jack will bloom into a very beautiful cat (he has semi-long fur if i am not wrong in looking at his photo), with the love of this family.

do keep us posted if you are following up post-adoption!

we wanna hear heart-warming awww-inspiring stories.

kuro.shiro.neko said...

victor tabbycat : hazel was a nightmare cos he was yowling at the top of his voice. and that stressed out meowmy catdonna.

but, i did manage to carry him for bout 5-10 mins. he was a lamb in my arms, save for a really stinky fishy breath.

cat_aunty said...

What a lovely man. I hope Jack will be happy in his furrever home. Catdonna was worried about Jack, and now both him and Hazel are adopted, so it works out in the end.

cat_aunty said...

BTW the posters and flipcharts look very impressive and professional. You guys are angels!

Robin CHAN said...

Thanks.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle today.

KXBC said...

Your posters are very nicely done up. I was very late that day after doing errands and was not able to make it to the drive on time.

That father is a good man. And his family will soon learn that love for a family pet goes beyond its looks. Just like how we love our ugly Chang Chang with patchy fur, hahahaha....

jennifer_yq said...

you did a great job with the poster..i felt it is special.. less stress for the cats and yet people can still see the cats photos...

most ppl whom love cats will not choose cats by colour nor breed, they will choose what their hearts desired...

Anonymous said...

i was moved to tears by the kind man's gesture, literally. the kids are lucky to have a father like him, even if they do not realise it now...

as for little jack, looks like he is off to a great home.

kisses and blessings to all.

Anonymous said...

Awwww this is so sweet. T.T So happy for little Jack! T.T

=^..^= said...

Hi Victor! Hazel was a nightmare because he apparently attacked his potential adopter's hand. Hmm... I don't know if he actually drew blood, but good thing that the adopter liked... er... quirky animals.

Hi Celeste, Cat Aunty & Anon! Yes, the man is quite a gem. It is wonderful to have people like him passing on such values to a younger generation. :)

Hi Zeus & KSN! I don't know who Jack's foster is. But I'll definitely try to get post-adoption updates about this darling fella. It really would be wonderful to be able to watch him grow up happy, healthy and loved.

Hi KXBC & Jennifer! Thank you for your kind words about the posters. And KXBC, Chang Chang is not ugly lah... a bit patchy, but still pretty! :)

Hi Robin & Meekie! Yes, we're all celebrating for dear sweet Jack. His adoption alone has made me smile for a whole week! :D

~5-Cat Style

Carolina Cats said...

Jack looks like a wonderful cat! He looks like he's winking - he has a secret. Congratulations on finding your forever home, Jack and all the others who were adopted. Congratulations to the nice people who are working for the cats.

Finny & Buddy

=^..^= said...

Haha! You put it brilliantly, Finny & Buddy! :D Jack does look like he is winking.

~5-Cat Style

Victor Tabbycat said...

I *told* Pip her Hazel Nut would find his person. Maybe he was hollerin, "HERE I AM!!!" I'm furry quiet, but not Ms. Bonnie. An the cat before her cursed an swore at Mom for 2 hours in the car.

My boy has a furiend wif a one-eyed cat, an you get used to it. Jack has a grrreat purrsonality. People are often happiest wif the cat no one else wanted.

Victor Tabbycat said...

Oh, ya, I don't know what Bonnie was up to, but I virtually snuck along wif my fambly to Collar-ado. We was gone from 8/30 to 9/3.

5Cats said...

Jack is cute. :) What a lovely man. His children and our society are fortunate to have a man like him.

Tommy and Teaghan said...

That story goes to show you there really still are good people out there. It's really nice that you have the opportunity to inform people about what to do in introducing new cats. There is a lot of mixed info on that.

=^..^= said...

Victor, you simply must tell us more about this cat that came befurr you and Bonnie!

~Bombay

=^..^= said...

Hi Three, yes... Jack certainly is cute and the man is very lovely. What a wonderful family they'll be together.

Hi Beau Beau and Angie, I should blog about that topic one of these days. I'm sure many readers will have many ideas to share.

~5-Cat Style

Dawn said...

Great work as usual ladies - and so nice to hear a story of a father setting a GOOD example :)

Anonymous said...

Hello! We found you over at the Meezers. What great pictures! And Jack is absolutely adorable. What a lovely story and a great dad. I'm sure Jack will be very happy with the family!

Come by and see us sometime, we added you to our links!

Juli, Leo & Bambi

Singapore Community Cat said...

It will be great if the family who decided to take Jack would start a blog. It will give a small but nonetheless important impetus to others who want to adopt misfits. I bet we are all anxiously waiting to see how Jack gets along in his new home.

Oscar the Wonder Cat said...

that made me cry so much. I am so glad Jack has a forever home now with, what sounds like, the perfect family. I asked Mum if we could take a kitty that wasn't adopted but Mum said Australia is too far away and we are not allowed to have any more kitties. Snuggles and headbutts to all the kitties.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story. When my inlaws lost their cat to renal failure, I was on the lookout for a new friend for them. I found a one-eyed cat at the Humane Society, and noticed how people would pass her by when they noticed her missing eye.

My mother-in-law knew this was the kitty who needed them. She took her home when I brought them to look. Her name was Precious.

What a wonderful Dad, to teach his kids (and his wife, it sounds like!) such a valuable lesson. I'm sure they will all adore Jack.

Your poster stand and books are fantastic! You guys are just a blessing, pure and simple.
~ tammara

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Thank you for sharing that story of the man and his family. I am so glad to hear that they adopted Jack. Somehow I know he will make a wise and loyal cat for this wonderful man and his family.

Abby's MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi, 5 cats style... am wondering any updates on Jack? Is he happy and growing?

I'll wait anxiously for your reply :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
No Hassle Loans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.