Sunday, June 03, 2012

Our First Week in the New House

Mommy: Slash, you're not doing much. Why don't you help out a little with the packing?

Slash: Hey, looking pretty in seductive poses is a lot of work!

Slash: Okay, fine... I'll help out by patting on the packing tape for this torn corner.

Slash: And now I have an owwie. See! My paw is sore.


Slash: I need to rest so that my body can heal from the trauma.

Slash: I'm passing out now. No one disturb me please. Zzzz...


Hi there, 5-Cat Style here!
Sorry, I've been away for so long.
The move was beyond dramatic and exhausting,
and the kitties needed a few days to adjust to the new place.
I hadn't realised that my bedroom is right beside the train tracks and so
you can imagine just how freaked out Slash and Bronzy were by the loud noises.

But Bronzy did quite well, I thought.
It took her about a day to adapt to all the strange noises and smells.
She was also very quick to befriend our two new housemates,
a young and newly married couple.
The wife is Italian and the husband Colombian.
The wife has 6 cats back in Italy and misses them terribly.
And so she was very excited about having Slash and Bronzy in the house.

Slash, on the other hand, took a much longer time to adjust to the new surroundings.
The first 2 days must have been the worst for him because he refused all food.
As it is, Slash is already on the thin side.
For him not to eat at all worried me terribly and so I tried to force-feed him some kibble.
I managed to get him to swallow about 6 tiny pieces.
But from the 7th onwards, he would spit them out on to the carpet, his fur, my legs, etc.
Thankfully, Slash started to eat a little on the 3rd day.
By the 5th day, his appetite was back to its usual.

Now that we've been here a full week, the cats are a lot more at ease.
Bronzy is coping beautifully.
She acts as though she has lived here all her life.
Slash, however, is comfortable only in my bedroom.
His favourite spot is under my bed.
He still isn't too friendly with the housemates, but he just needs another week or two.

I'm sorry I haven't got any photos of the new house to share yet.
Firstly, I've been so busy with uni work and all the unpacking that needs to be done.
With 70 boxes of crap and junk, that is A LOT of unpacking.
Secondly, my 70 boxes have completely cluttered up half the house!
Believe me... You don't want to see the mess.
You'd thank me for waiting until the house looks lovely again before photographing it.

So to make up for the lack of photos,
here are some from when I was packing in the old house.
Happy viewing!


The Great Wall of Boxes begin to take shape with 20 boxes.

As the 20 boxes grew to 30, Slash and Bronzy helped to make sure that the wall stood steady.

Slash: I'll help balance out the weight in this corner.

Slash: Mommy, you have some missing boxes.

Slash: See... Box 22, Box 27, Box 31...

Slash: Where are the in-between boxes?

Mommy: Bronzy, what are you doing to your brother?

Slash: Bronzy told me that I needed to be packed away too.

*The next morning*

Mommy: Again? Bronzy, stop putting your brother inside boxes!

~5-Cat Style

13 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Hey Slash! Lost your appetite, eh? I moved house...errr...country one and a half years ago and let me tell you...it was stressful! But am fine now. purrr...meow!

The Adventures of Scarlett and Melly said...

Oh, poor Slash. I'm sure he'll adjust pretty soon, though. Those pictures of him in the boxes are way too funny!

Marilia said...

New home, new life!
I hope this is a wonderful stage in your life.
Kisses and a great week!

Sparkle said...

I hope Slash adjusts soon - it's no fun to spend so much time under the bed! It does look like the packing part of the move was fun... for Slash and Bronzy, of course!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

We hope you get all adjusted!

Katnip Lounge said...

Glad that you are in your new place! Moving is stressful indeed; we recommend a little catnip!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I sure hope everyone gets all settled in soon!

Unknown said...

Before yous knows it, Slash will be his selfs. Moving and the new smells and the noises always makes me upset for abouts a week!
Kisses
Nellie

meowmeowmans said...

Welcome to your new home, friends! We sure hope you get settled in real soon.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We are glad the move went well. Hopefully, Slash will get used to the new place quickly!

Ellen Whyte said...

OMC you poor things! Well, at least the kitties have lots of lovely boxes :-)

Hey, we have problems wiht your Please prove you're not a robot
reCAPTCHA challenge image. CAn;t you switch it off?

World of Animals, Inc. said...

Slash, we think the job you did with the tape was pawsome. We could see the trauma on your face after you supposedly hurt your paw. Now you need that cat nap now. Looks like you two had a great time with all those boxes for the move. Thanks for sharing the photos. Have a great day.
World of Animals

Kent said...

Hi! This article is so great! Thank you for sharing this awesome information. I liked the way you presented your information. I enjoy reading this blog which includes lots of helpful information its very interesting and amazing.I enjoyed it so much and thank you for a wonderful article, it helped me a lot. You have such a great mind to come up with this. And if you are in need to dry cleaner services free to visit us and give us a call.