Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I have always wondered...

... if it was man who domesticated the cat or if it was the cat who had domesticated man.

Here's one definition of "domestication" I found...

"I have defined a domesticated animal as one that has been bred in captivity, for purposes of subsistence or profit, in a human community that maintains complete mastery over its breeding, organisation of territory, and food supply. The exception, of course, is the cat which walks by itself."
~ Juliet Clutton Brock (The Unnatural World -- Behavioral aspects of humans and animals in the process of domestication)

~5-Cat Style

1 comment:

auntie p said...

Thanks for dropping by at my blog. Do you remember Jackie? I recall you made the lovely poster of her for the adoption drive previously. :)

She's now a PR in my MIL's home and has a big tummy! Read about it here: Jackie, et al